Sunday, June 3, 2012

Welcome to Taiwan!

"Welcome to Taiwan........" with a bright and sincere smile, eye glasses on her face and holding a cup of drink, she greeted me once I came out from the car. It was around 1 AM midnight, in Tainan City, Taiwan. I couldn't remember how long I spent my time in the airplane, traveling from Indonesia to Taiwan. However, arrived in a foreign country in the middle of the night is quite tense for me. Luckily, I arranged everything back home that once I arrived in Kaohsiung International Airport, a kind of private-public transportation will pick me and drop me at National Cheng Kung University (NCKU). Moreover, the university offered us a buddy-buddy program, that helps foreigner to get to know Taiwan and school environment. At first I didn't expect much from this program and even skeptical. Nevertheless, I was thinking to immediately have local friends was a good things.

Well, to tell you the truth, I have no idea at all how Taiwan looks like. I even never imagine before, that I am going to pursue my master degree in Taiwan. But.... after one and another things happened in my life, this opportunity came to me. Yes....I sacrificed another opportunity to get this opportunity. I reject a position to have a descend job in a bank that placed 7th as biggest bank by asset in the world, after very long selection process. My feeling was mixed, I just hoped that Taiwan will be a good place with good people and wouldn't be disappointing.

That night, when I first came to Taiwan, I was sooo careful and cautious. Especially with the people. I was prepared for any kind of bad things, including if the car driver drop me in different place or even robbed me. Well... all of those negative thought was just disappear when my buddy gave me a warm welcome. It was "jenju naicha" or bubble tea, a cup of drink that she hold and then given to me. I was really touched at the moment as she was waiting for me in the middle of the night and even provide me a special drink from Taiwan. It was very warmhearted experience and made me love jenju naicha so much. Moreover, it was just the beginning of my life experience in Taiwan. Through this blog, I would like to share my experiences in this lovely island as well as information about it. I hope my writings can help you to understand or get some insight about Taiwan or further be your guidance to travel in Taiwan.

Welcome to Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment